The Turbo Tax fiasco: a Timeline of Minnesota Revenue’s decisions
Turbo Tax is all over the news lately but it’s hard to keep up with every twist and turn in the story without getting whiplash. The following is a timeline guiding you through Minnesota Revenue’s decisions regarding Turbo Tax this tax season.
February 5th, 2015:
- Several Minnesota taxpayers log in to Turbo Tax to find that a tax return has already been filed in their name.
- The Minnesota Department of Revenue stops accepting returns submitted through Turbo Tax. However, they continue to accept returns from other “Intuit professional preparer products (Lacerte, Intuit Tax Online, and ProSeries).”*
- They also make sure to note that the Minnesota Department of Revenue has not experienced a breach or security issues in itself.
- Turbo Tax sets up a phone number for affected taxpayers with questions.
February 6th, 2015:
- The Minnesota Department of Revenue reminds everyone that they will NOT accept tax returns from Turbo Tax but will continue to accept returns from other professional tax software.
- The Minnesota Department of Revenue explains that they are working with Intuit to verify the standard of their new security measures.
February 7th, 2015:
- Intuit “implemented new ‘targeted security measures.’”*
- Minnesota Revenue now accepts returns filed by Turbo Tax.
- They state in a news release that they will contact individuals if they find any issues with their specific return.